Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Book I Won't be Reading

O.K. It sounds amazing and like something I should read but....I can't do it. One story is supposedly about a Kenyan street family in which the wage earner is a 12-year-old prostitute and the parents give their children glue to sniff because it’s cheaper than food and makes them forget they're hungry. According to the NYT today: “As translucent a style as I’ve read in a long while,” Alan Cheuse wrote in The Chicago Tribune, adding that the subjects “nearly render the mind helpless and throw the heart into a hopeless erratic rhythm out of fear, out of pity, out of the shame of being only a few degrees of separation removed from these monstrous modern circumstances.”
What has happened to me? Single childless Gaye read Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians and loved it and laughed at Todd Solentz films. She was made of sterner stuff. Have I become a timid tremulous little person living in Swampscott and ignoring the cries of the oppressed? Apparently---yes. I will leave it to Angelina Jolie to read.

No comments: